Saturday, February 25, 2012

OMB! Tupelo Honey Biscuits, Fresh out of MY Oven

Oh my biscuit goodness!  Last weekend, we went to Asheville and hit our (and, okay, everybody's) favorite Asheville restaurant, Tupelo Honey Cafe.  As always, the biscuits that they serve before the meal were melt-in-your-mouth amazing. I dare anyone to say anything disparaging about the South with a mouthful of these biscuits!


Last Christmas, I'd bought B the Tupelo Honey Cafe cookbook. (Definitely one of those semi-selfish gifts.) Case in point: Inspired by our recent visit, last night he looked up the recipe for the biscuits and about an hour later, the most amazing biscuits were coming out of our very own oven. I always gush over B's final product, because it's always gush-worthy, but these biscuits were absolutely amazing.  Maybe it's just because I was enjoying them on my own couch in my pajamas with a big spoonful of apple butter, but these were even better than in the restaurant.  In fact, they were definitely in my top two biscuit experiences of all time.  And that's saying a lot, because S.H.'s moms homemade biscuits with honey still stick in my mind from 1991! Since eating those biscuits, every biscuit experience in my life has fallen short until this one.  If I could put those biscuits side by side for comparison, I would gladly do it.






The biscuits were equal parts moist and crumbly, with the perfect amount of saltiness.  I had one as an appetizer and ended up only having half of my dinner so I could have another one.  Even though our oven turned them just a tad brown, it didn't mess with the taste.

Dear friends, I'm holding promise of these biscuits out as a carrot to come visit!

B. says one of the secrets is the frozen butter.  Also, the recipe called for 1.5 t salt, but only told what do do with the half teaspoon.  He didn't put the rest in, and (obviously) I didn't miss it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the Tupelo Honey Cafe is a must for anyone heading to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in July.

    ReplyDelete